2018-2019 Swim Team Information
The Keene Family YMCA Dolphins (KYD) Swim Team is a competitive swim program dedicated to giving children the opportunity learn, grow, and thrive in the water. With a focus on personal bests, we strive to refine technique, build endurance, work as a team, and develop a life-time appreciation for the sport of swimming.
The KYD Swim Team actively participates in the Western Mass YMCA Swim League and is a registered USA Swim Team.
KYD is open to all Keene Family YMCA members ages 5-18 with approval from a KYD Swim Team coach.
There is a mandatory parent team meeting September 5, 6:00 – 7:00 pm
During the season, all coaches welcome questions, but please ask before or after practice, not during. This will allow the coaches to give their full attention to the swimmers during practice.
My child thinks they want to be on the swim team, but we aren’t sure. What should we do?
Come to one of the swimmer assessments on
- Monday August 20, 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Tuesday August 21 5:00 – 7:00 pm
- Wednesday September 5, 4:00 – 6:00 pm
What group would be best for my child?
Every child will be assessed and placed in the appropriate group both for age and swimming ability.
Spinners (Ages 6-10)
- Swim each of the 4 strokes legally (regardless of time)
- Do a flip turn
- Push off and streamline with dolphin kick
Spinners are recommended to attend two practices per week. Practices are held:
- Mondays and Thursdays from 3:45 – 4:45 pm
Strypers (Ages 9-12)
- Swim a 100 IM legally
- Understand how to use a pace clock
- Kick 4×25 @ :45
- Push off and streamline to flags with dolphin kick
- Swim a set of 8 x 50’s freestyle on 1:30
Strypers are recommended to attend 2-3 practices a week. Practices are held:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 4:14 – 5:15 pm
- Wednesday, Friday from 5:15 – 6:15 pm
Silver (Ages 11- Up)
- 10×50@ 1:20
- 8×25@ :50 IM order
- Swim under 1:30 in 100YD freestyle
- Swim under 1:40 in 100YD IM
Silver swimmers are recommended to attend 3-4 practices per week. Practices are held:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday from 5:15 – 6:45pm
- Wednesday, Friday from 3:34 – 5:15pm
Gold (Ages 12- Up)
- Coach’s invite only
- 10×100@ 1:30
Gold swimmers are expected to attend a minimum of 4 practices per week with Tuesdays & Thursdays REQUIRED. Practices are held:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 4:45 – 6:45 pm
- Tuesday and Thursday from 4:15 – 6:15 pm (dryland training 4:15 – 5:00 pm)
Gold High School Students
There is a discount for swimmers participating in the New Hampshire Interscholastic Athletic Association(High School) swim league.
Does my child have to attend every practice?
No. See the recommendations for each group. We strive to instill a love of swim team and want to avoid burnout.
Does my child have to be a Y member to participate?
Yes. If your family does not have a membership, your child can have their own youth or teen Y membership. We offer Financial Assistance to those who qualify based on Federal Poverty Guidelines. See the Welcome Center Staff for more info. Review our member policies and options.
How much does swim team cost?
- Spinners (Ages 6-10): $300
- Strypers (Ages 9-12): $650
- Silver (Ages 11- Up): $650
- Gold (High School students): $650
- Gold (Ages 12- Up): $750
Do you have a payment plan?
Yes, quarterly payments can be spread out through December 15, 2018.
- Spinners: $75 per payment
- Strypers, Silver, and Gold High School Students: $162.50 per payment
- Gold: $187.50 per payment
The first payment is due upon registration, then payments can be applied to a credit card or checking account in your name, on the following dates
What paperwork is required?
- Membership application if not already a member
- Emergency Contact Form
- Authorization for KYD Payment Plan – if setting up payment plan
How do I register?
If paying in full, anyone at the Welcome Center can register your swimmer.
If signing up for a payment plan, complete the paperwork at the desk, and the office will register your swimmer.
When do I register?
If your child is returning to swim team, and you are paying in full, you can sign up at the Welcome Center immediately. If you are not ready to make the commitment, and want to learn more the week of Sept 10th, come to a few practices then, if interested, sign up by September 17th.
Does my child have to compete to be part of the swim team?
Yes. This is a team that is training for competition. For those looking for more opportunities to swim, and strengthen their skills, but are not interested in competing, we have other options including Level 6 Stroke Development or Jr. Dolphins (see program guide).
How many meets are there each season?
The schedule has not been finalized. More information will be given as it becomes available.
How long is the season?
The season begins on Sept 10th, and will run through March, final date TBD.
I have more questions:
Swim Team Contacts
Menachi Pillai, firstname.lastname@example.org or 603-283-5249