Code of Conduct
Members join the Y in an intentional step toward seeking new opportunities to learn, grow and thrive. Members come together with men, women, and children from the community in a commitment to youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Using the values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility, Y employees work with each member every day to help them realize their potential. We promote and expect the same behavior from our members to create a safe, fun, inclusive and nurturing place for all. Our Code of Conduct outlines these expectations.
We encourage the following:
- Engaging in Healthy Lifestyles
- Respecting Differences and Celebrating Diversity
- Modeling Empathy
- Learning New Skills
- Meeting Other People
- Supporting Relationships
- Being a Role Model
- Behaving in a Safe Way
The following are not permitted on Keene Family YMCA premises, vehicles or at Y sponsored functions:
- Inappropriate sexual, physical, or verbal contact
- Posturing, bullying, or intimidation
- Using or possessing alcohol (unless express permission is granted for special events) or illegal chemicals/drugs
- Smoking/Vaping– the Keene Family YMCA and its property are a smoke-free environment
- Carrying or concealing a weapon or any device or object that may be used as a weapon
- Harassment or intimidation by words, gestures, body language, or any type of menacing behavior
- Physical contact with another person in an angry, aggressive, inappropriate or threatening way
- Verbally abusive behavior, including angry or vulgar language, swearing, name-calling or shouting
- Discriminatory speech or actions
- Sexually explicit conversation or behavior; any sexual contact with another person
- Theft or behavior that results in the destruction or loss of property
- Loitering within or on the grounds of the Keene Family YMCA
- Any other behavior deemed in conflict with the Keene Family YMCA mission
Cell Phone Usage:
- Cell phone usage is prohibited at all times in the locker rooms.
- Cell phone usage for communication is allowed in the lobby or outside ONLY.
- Cell phone usage for music while exercising is permitted. Must be respectful of people around you, preferably by using ear buds.
Violation of the Y’s policies and procedures, or any other improper and/or inappropriate conduct, may result in disciplinary action. Disciplinary action taken is at the sole discretion of the Y and it reserves the right to take whatever action is appropriate based on the nature of the violation. Discipline may result in a verbal, written or final warning, suspension, or immediate termination of membership if deemed appropriate.
In addition, the Keene Family YMCA reserves the right to deny access or membership to any person who has been accused or convicted of any crime involving sexual abuse, is or has been a registered sex offender, has a history of violent offenses, has ever been convicted of any offense relating to the use, sale, possession, or transportation of narcotics or habit forming and/or dangerous drugs, or is presently or habitually under the influence of dangerous drugs or chemicals, narcotics or intoxicating beverages. (NOTE: The Keene Family YMCA conducts daily sexual offender scans on the National Sex Offender Registry Database)
Members and guests are encouraged to take responsibility for their personal comfort and safety by asking any person whose behavior threatens their comfort to refrain from such behavior, and/or should immediately report the behavior to a staff person or the building.
Locker Room Usage
At the Y we offer 3 locker rooms for your changing and showering convenience. We require that individuals and families use their designated locker room for the safety of our youth and privacy of our members.
Usage of cell phones for any purpose is prohibited in locker rooms. This includes texting.
Lockers are free for member use. You must provide your own lock. The Y is not responsible for personal property. We do not allow overnight locker usage. This helps us maintain a safe and secure facility. No opposite genders are allowed in the gender-specific locker room, this includes children of all ages.
Female Locker Room – for use by females of all ages
Our Female locker room contains 7 showers, 3 restrooms, 4 changing stalls, generous general use space and lockers, mirrors, hairdryers, and grooming counter. This locker room is for females of all ages. Female children under 11 must be supervised. The Female locker room provides a changing stall located at the far end of the locker room, equipped with outlets for nursing mothers seeking a private location to breastfeed or pump. Locker usage is free, but members need to bring their own lock. The Y does not rent locks, but does sell locks if you are need of one. The Y is not responsible for member property stolen from unlocked lockers.
Male Locker Room – for use by males of all ages
Our Male locker room contains 8 showers, 2 restrooms, 2 changing stalls, generous general use space and lockers, mirrors, hairdryers, and grooming counter. This locker room is for males of all ages. Male children under 11 must be supervised. Locker usage is free, but members need to bring their own lock. The Y does not rent locks, but does sell locks if you are need of one. The Y is not responsible for member property stolen from unlocked lockers.
Community Locker Room – for use by all ages and all genders
This locker room is available for families, people with special needs and their caregivers, or anyone who prefers more privacy. All children under 11 must be supervised. We provide 7 large changing rooms with varied amenities, such as showers, toilets, benches, and sinks. An infant changing station is available. Locker usage is free, but members need to bring their own lock. The Y does not rent locks, but does sell locks if you are need of one. The Y is not responsible for member property stolen from unlocked lockers.