Programming keeps kids moving, exploring and learning
Do you remember your best summer ever? Did you stay all day with your friends at the local pool? Did you head to the local park and play basketball? Or was your best summer the summer you discovered your favorite literary heroes and followed their adventures from the comfort of your own backyard? For most, your best summer ever was probably a combination of all of these—some exploration, activity and education.
Summer is the ideal time to get children out and exploring but for some, the end of the school year means no access to recreational and educational activities which help them learn, grow and thrive. Studies show that children can experience learning loss and even gain weight twice as fast than during the school year. For parents and caregivers looking to keep their children’s minds and bodies active, the Keene Family YMCA is offering nine weeks of summer camp options to give youth an adventurous, active and healthy summer.
YMCA camp programs provide a fun and unique experience that gives children and teens the opportunity to explore the outdoors, meet new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime. This summer the Keene Family YMCA is offering: Camp Wakonda, Camp Jumping Jacks, a Counselor in Training program, a number of ½ day specialty options, Gymnastics Camp, Ninja Camp, Sports Camp, Arts Camp, Teen Climbing Camp, and a Teen Sports Conditioning program.
“Summer camp provides a variety of opportunities to ensure that youth are learning and being physically active in the summer,” says Kelly Fleuette, Director of Child Care Services. “Campers learn how to be responsible and resourceful, work in groups, solve problems and make decisions that will help them grow as individuals—all while having fun and feeling like they belong. We want every camper to start school telling their friends that they had the best summer ever.”
Fleuette says there are five reasons why children and teens should attend summer camp:
- ADVENTURE: Summer camp is all about a wide variety of new experiences and exploring the outdoors. YMCA camps have a new adventure for every child and teen. Visit keeneymca.org/summercamp for complete descriptions of all the Y’s camp offerings.
- HEALTHY FUN: Day camps offer fun, stimulating activities that engage the body and mind, and also help children and teens learn the importance of nutrition to help improve their healthy eating habits.
- PERSONAL GROWTH: While in the welcoming environment of camp, youth are encouraged to learn new skills, and develop confidence and independence by taking on new responsibilities and challenges. Camps offer cognitive learning and social-emotional development opportunities for achievement.
- FRIENDSHIPS: Amidst the fun of camp games, songs, swimming, canoeing and talent shows, campers meet new friends and strengthen existing friendships. The bonds formed at camp are important and lasting for many youth.
- MEMORIES: Summer camp is an unforgettable experience that will give each camper memories (and camp traditions) that will last a lifetime. Youth return to school with plenty of camp stories to share!
A leading nonprofit committed to nurturing the potential of youth, the Y has been a leader in providing summer camp for over 130 years. The Keene Family YMCA continues to give youth an enriching, safe experience with caring staff and volunteers who model positive values that help build their kids’ character.
Registration remains open for the 2016 camp season. The Keene Family YMCA encourages parents to give their kids the gift of camp. And, to ensure that all youth have the chance to experience camp, the Keene Family YMCA offers financial assistance to those in need. Additionally, if you’d like to help send kids to camp, you can donate online under the GIVING tab.
For more information on Y Summer Camp, visit WWW.KEENEYMCA.ORG/SUMMERCAMP or contact Debby Ellison at 603.283.5254 or email@example.com.